Monday, December 3, 2012

25 Ways to Turn 25


I've never paid too much attention to aging, because frankly as each birthday passes, I find that I'm still a 13-year-old girl living in my adult body... Age is JUST a number as they say, and I don't feel any older. My naive hope is to feel this way forever! Remarkably and by the graces of heaven, my 24th year turned out to be the best year of my life, and I fully anticipate 25 to put 24 to complete shame with a serious West Side Story rumble!

On the eve of my birthday a dinner was held where I found myself watching, observing, and basking in the joy of my current friendships. My heart was overcome with gratitude, because this outpouring of love sincerely shocked me. I was in a state of awe as person after person that I love, respect, and adore arrived.

I excused myself to the restroom early on in the meal to get ahold of my overly emotional self. I stood quietly, but I could still hear the rumbling of my friends, and I again felt overcome by the presence of these dear people. My heart swelled, because I couldn't process or believe the gift-like entrance of this unique bunch. These people were ALL the gift I needed and/or wanted on this day so strongly associated with presents.



I love to LOVE. I've loved way too hard in the past, and for far too long, so I wasn't sure I knew how to love or be loved in return. There are sadly relationships that have taught me that I'm easy to exploit and harm, I now know better. I see more clearly today than I did yesterday, and I most certainly see more clearly than I did a year ago.

I returned to the dinner table and looked at each person, as I told myself to never forget how this love feels... Never forget how good it feels to love another person and have that love feel so proportional and authentic. Reciprocated love is a heavenly love. I still can't believe my luck, in fact I wouldn't even call it luck, I would call it a blessing and consequence as a result of listening, acting, and persevering in faith. I'm where I want to be, with whom I want to be with, and I will NEVER go back!



My life is my own and it's absolutely what I've made of it this past year. With that said I could not have done it without the support and pure friendship of so many key players. As I hit this quarter of a century mark, I'd like to detail the 25 ways I've learned to be happy, successful, and authentically me:

1. Ask for help
2. Learn, establish, and implement boundaries
3. Call Ma Patti
4. Establish a safe haven in the way of people, places, and things
5. Never be afraid to walk away when it's necessary
6. Consult the Lord for guidance, strength, help, and comfort
7. Love yourself
8. Forgive yourself and others
9. Love yourself so you can love others
10. LAUGH. LAUGH. LAUGH.
11. Remember that men are people too
12. Remember what's important to the people you love
13. Own your decisions
14. Eat Cool Ranch Doritos
15. Drink tasty beverages
16. Say "Thank you"
17. Live with David and Jalene
18. Communicate your needs, and address the needs of others
19. Apologize
20. BE BRAVE!
21. Find what makes up your most authentic self and function from this place daily
22. Remember you aren't better than any person and no person is better than you
23. Don't just dream, take action!
24. When people show you who they are... Believe them! (I CAN'T STRESS THIS ONE ENOUGH)



25. Listen to One Direction endlessly! See a movie in an empty theater with Shanae. Listen to Les Miserables with Rachel. Laugh until you pee with Mackenzie. See an animated movie with Kaylie. Paint Henry's fingernails. Eat a meal with Eli. Catch frogs with Gina. Play butt darts with Carrie. Paint fingernails with Jalene. Play guitar and sing with Nic. Wrestle with Kirk. Count on JD. Do anything and everything with Ma Patti. Watch Suits with Dave and Jalene. Watch the Broncos with the Hale CLAN. Go to Ruby River with Melissa Marsh. Drive around in Lupicia with Melissa Roberts. Feel Andrew's pecs. Call Lewis Carl. Learn from Alexis. Go to a rodeo with Courtney. Talk One Tree Hill with Kristin. Absorb Annie's quirks. Listen to jams with Kat. Eat Chick-fil-A. And finally, accept love!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post Em-Bem. I love your list of truths. I only have one addition, and that is to include "Sandwich-kiss Tommy Shaw with Elizabeth." Miss you, friend.

    ReplyDelete