Wednesday, December 5, 2012

This Should and Will Matter to Everyone

My boys (One Direction) just put out their sophomore album, so I decided to man-up and write a FULL-REVIEW. My overall impression is a positive one. They took some risks, and explored some new territory, but for the most part they kept their classic sound that I initially fell in love with. However, I must admit, I didn't like every song. With that said, I'm just so thrilled to have some delicious One Direction to act as a soundtrack to my life! 



1. Live While We're Young-How could I possibly hate the first single from their newest album? Well, I wouldn't say I hate it, but it's not my favorite. Catchy hook, and an unbelievably classic 1D chorus. This is the song I'm told I hum in the aisle of the grocery store. It's safe, but still great.

2. Kiss You-I always think this song is on the bottom of my list, but as soon as the song begins, I remember that I ADORE it. It's everything a boy band song should be. It's ridiculous. 
It's unrealistic. There are bouts of falsetto singing mixed with repeated words and phrases. There are all the "Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs" you could want, and did I mention there's a clapping and "Nanana" section? It's pure gold from the Boy Band GODS!

3. Little Things-This might be controversial. Ed Sheeran, the writer of this song is a famous singer/songwriter in his own right. He wrote 2 tracks for their previous album, and I'm a fan of those songs, but he wasn't a great fit for this album. I can recognize an Ed Sheeran song from a mile away. He has a very distinct sound. It's raw and do I dare say unpolished? When I first heard this song I thought it was a rough cut. The lyrics obviously have an appeal, because it's specific and to the point. I can see how listing out every insecurity a girl has felt about herself, and then expressing a love that surpasses those things is very sweet. Here's my issue, I know they're not singing it to me or about me. If this song was directly written about me, I'd check myself into the looney bin, because I would be unable to stop the joyful tears! But it's not about me, so it feels... I'm sorry to say this, a bit unauthentic and cheesy. That doesn't mean I don't know every word... Because I do... I can appreciate what they're trying to do, I'm just not the ideal or target audience for this one.

4. C'mon, C'mon-OKAY! Well, this is the first song I listened to besides their first two singles "Live While We're Young," and "Little Things." I'm gonna say it, so be so ready... This song was everything I hoped for and MORE. Zayn literally lights my nachos on fire! His riffs are insane. I've been impressed throughout the album with the boys breaking from their usual vocal formula and organization. I'm so proud of little Niall on this one! The chorus features ALL the boys. It's catchy, sexy, and dynamic. My favorite part of this song is right after the bridge. There's a brief pause that feels like eternity. I found the deepest part of my soul in those brief moments. No complaints. 

5. Last First Kiss-Not an immediate favorite, so I tried to correct this. I like it more than I did, but I'm still not in love. I'm sure this will be a track that's an absolute go-to, in five months. Today, I'm not quite there. It's also taking me forever to learn the lyrics, they confuse me.

6. Heart Attack-Umm, yep... I have feelings. These feelings are aggressive, and I just can't talk about it. The vocals are strong from all the boys, and they scream "Oooooooowwwwweeeeeee."I'm not sad. Also, I need a boyfriend.

7. Rock Me-This song immediately and without question became my favorite. This song is similar to "More Than This" off their first album simply because the two songs, as different as they sound are the songs that sealed me to album. Up All Night could not have done without "More Than This." Just like Take Me Home would have been incomplete without "Rock Me." It features the boys perfectly. I've never been so impressed with Louis in any song. The vocals are strong all around. It's so catchy, it feels ridiculous. I love any chorus that goes up the scale and then back down again. The rhythm is the same beat as Queen's "We Will Rock You." Coincidence? I think not.

8. Change My Mind-Blah! Skip... Louis blows it on this one. Again, I wanna love it, but it's boring and Liam is featured on the chorus. Not his strong suit. I could've done without this one.

9. I Would-I WANT TO HATE THIS SONG, BUT I don't... I'm ashamed. This song is so cheesy, but I just can't help it. When Zayn works the chorus like he do... I melt. I'm a pathetic mess. There's whistling... I mean c'mon? Even if they spell out L-O-V-E for their not... so... bright fans, I find I'm still in L-O-V-E with this song, and them.

10. Over Again-Another Ed Sheeran song. Of all the songs on the album I like this one the least. The boys voices are not suited to the style of this song AT ALL. It's unpolished. They all sound pretty crappy, but Louis is by far the worst.

11. Back For You-This song is another that I'll love to death in 6 months or so, but today it bores me... I usually skip it even though I know all the words. I'm hopeless.

12. They Don't Know About Us-I mean cancer isn't being cured by this song. I doubt any respectable musician would even "guffaw" at this song, but I LOVE IT! I'm going to explain so simply and accurately why this song is so important to me... It sounds exactly like The Backstreet Boys. If you know me at all you know that the Backstreet Boys are my Boys 4 Life. This song would so seamlessly go on any BSB album. I'm proud of Louis and Niall on this one! They hold their own. Let me talk about Zayn for a minute. The boy has vocal chords made out of the creamiest, mocha latte in existence. His voice is the best of the groups by a landslide, and this song exemplifies this fact to a T!

13. Summer Love-I know this wont be a smash hit for the fans or anyone's first pick (besides Shanae of course), but I just fell in love with this song the moment I heard it. Niall and Zayn have beautiful vocal chemistry, so much so that I had a hard time deciphering between their two voices. My boyfriend Harry, just shatters my heart in this one. It's a nice change of pace from the rest of their tracks. It's one of their more ballad-type songs. That's something this album disappointed me on. NOT ENOUGH BALLADS. NOT VERY BSB BOYS! NOT COOL. "Feels like snow in Septemeber!" What a great lyric.

14. She's Not Afraid-This song is joke that I'm totally in on it... It's hilarious. I smile, giggle, and dance like a fool when I listen. Harry can touch me, if he wants to... I cry when I listen to him sing. It's a cross between The Beach Boys and as crazy as it sounds, Blink 182. The beat is generic, but the pace of the song reminds me of Blink. Again, the chorus goes up and down the scale. The smartest musical choices come from the simplest tricks.

15. Loved You First-This one took me a while to get in to. It's not at the top or bottom of my list, but I do enjoy it. It sounds so much like an 80's pop song. It's a throw back fo sho. Harry's voice drives me to a place of irrational emotion. This song will play over and over in a mall... I can guarantee that. 

16. Nobody Compares-I don't really get this song. I know all the words, but I'm still confused. It's associating geographical location with emotions, and occurrences. It's catchy, but not my cup of tea.

17. Still The One-I'm not hatin' on Liam on this one... He shows his stuff. Proud. I think I want to hate this one, but I just listen, and instantly want to quit my job, and take surfing lessons. Don't even ask me why, because I don't know. I see myself on the waves, soaking up sun rays, and kissing Harry right on the face. So, yeah, I like this song!

No comments:

Post a Comment